Frequently Asked Questions

Reporting Discrimination, Violence and Harassment (Including Sexual Violence and Harassment)

In the event a student has encountered discrimination, violence or harassment, they are encouraged to do one (or more than one) of the following: 

  • In situations where his/her safety is at immediate and serious risk, s/he should contact 9-1-1 and seek emergency assistance. After calling 9-1-1, and as circumstances permit, contact Campus Police at 416-978-2222.
  • In situations where there is less immediate or serious risk of harm, the following resources are available:
    • Review the above referenced documents above and make a disclosure or file a formal report in accordance with the procedures set out in the applicable document;
    • Consult with the University’s Community Safety Office for safety planning assistance and support: 
    • Bring the concern(s) to the attention of your Graduate Coordinator, Departmental Chair, and/or Dr. Allan Kaplan, Vice Dean, Graduate and Academic Affairs
    • Consult with the Graduate Conflict Resolution Centre  to discuss options and strategies to address their concern(s). Students are welcomed to connect confidentially with a trained G2G Peer Advisor (G2G refers to a graduate student to graduate student). A G2G Peer Advisor does not intervene or advocate – they listen and can help a student to navigate forward;
    • If the concern relates to sexual violence or sexual harassment, students are encouraged to contact the University’s Sexual Violence Prevention and Support Centre,  which can help students understand, access and navigate supports such as counselling, medical services, academic accommodations, financial aid and legal aid; and/or
    • Contact an equity officer at the University’s Sexual & Gender Diversity Office or the Anti-Racism and Cultural Diversity Office.

If students decide to comment in this survey on egregious behavior of their primary supervisor (e.g. sexual harassment, discrimination, violence), the University is obligated to investigate such alleged behavior. In the course of such an investigation, a student’s name and the name of the supervisor may be required to be revealed in confidence to the appropriate University official(s).  

Academic Writing & Editing

Graduate Centre for Academic Communication (GCAC)

  • GCAC offers a variety of free courses (generally 3-5 weeks long), drop in workshops, and one on one consultations to help you cultivate the ability to diagnose and address weaknesses in your written and verbal communication. This includes topics such as how to become a better editor of your work, writing grant proposals, improving your graduate writing, etc.

Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)

AODA Office

  • The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) is a piece of legislation in the Province of Ontario aimed at making the places you work, live and learn as accessible as possible.
    Several standards assist in fulfilling this goal: the Customer Service Standard and the various standards within the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation. Below you will find tip sheets, training modules, resources, relevant policies and our building access notices.

Service Animals & Support Resources

  • The University has developed new guidelines on the welcoming of service animals on our campuses in order to reflect and clarify the law. They provide University-context specific guidance on how all members of the University community can welcome service animals. It also clarifies how community members wishing to be accompanied by service animals can do so.
  • Support persons are welcomed at the University to accompany persons with disabilities in order for them to access the University services. Communication and service should be focused on the individual as opposed to the support person.

Conflict Resolution

SGS Graduate Supervision Guidelines: Student Edition

  • These guidelines discuss the responsibilities of a graduate student and their supervisor, as well as how a student should address problems with their supervisor.

Graduate Conflict Resolution Centre

  • Book an appointment with a trained peer advisor to confidentially connect and talk about strategies for addressing a concern, as well as available university supports and resources. Peer advisors do not intervene or advocate - they listen and can help you navigate your own way forward.

Family Care, Housing, Community & Health

Family Care Office

  • The Family Care Office provides confidential guidance, resources, referrals, educational programming and advocacy for the University of Toronto community and their families.

Health Services

  • Offer a variety of services ranging from immunizations to tobacco cessation to sexual health

Housing Services

  • Provides you with housing details ranging from available housing prospects to spotting housing scams

Athletic Centre

  • Students have access to various athletic facilities including the Athletic Centre, Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport, and Hart House

Centre for International Experience

  • The Centre for International Experience is a meeting place for a diverse community of international students coming to U of T and domestic students looking to go abroad. Come and visit us at Cumberland House to find information and make new friends.

Formal Complaints & Academic Appeals

Office of the Ombudsperson

  • As part of the University’s commitment to ensuring that the rights of its individual members are protected, the University Ombudsperson is devoted to ensuring procedural fairness and just and reasonable outcomes. The Ombudsperson offers advice and assistance and can recommend changes in academic or administrative procedures where this seems justified.

    In recognition of different campus cultures and practices, and to make our services more accessible to clients, there is an Ombuds Officer based at each of the three campuses. Contact us.

UTGSU Advocate

  • Grad students can also connect (email is best) with the UTGSU Advocate: Gail Fernando for appeal advice & support. See Contact Info.

Graduate Academic Appeals

  • Graduate students registered in the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), may appeal substantive or procedural academic matters, including grades, evaluation of comprehensive examinations and other program requirements; decisions about the student’s continuation in any program; or concerning any other decision with respect to the application of academic regulations and requirements to a student (SGS General Regulations 11.1).

Graduate Student Union

Rehabilitation Sciences Graduate Student Union

University of Toronto Graduate Students’ Union (UTGSU)

  • The University of Toronto Graduate Students’ Union (UTGSU) represents over 18,000 students studying in over 115 departments. We advocate for increased graduate student representation and act as a voice for students by lobbying national, and provincial issues on your behalf.

How are admission decisions communicated?

Decisions on admission are communicated via email to the student only. You are then expected to let your potential supervisor know about the outcome.

How is the admission review process conducted?

  1. RSI office reviews all applications. Only complete applications which meet the admission requirement are reviewed by the admissions committee.
  2. Two committee members are randomly assigned to each application, accounting for conflict of interest.
  3. A structured form and rankings are used for the evaluation of each application.
  4. A current graduate student at RSI reviews all application to provide the student's perspective on a candidate.
  5. The committee meets to review the applications.
  6. A committee member whose student is being reviewed does not participate in the discussion.
  7. Following the discussion, the chair seeks a consensus rating. The members of the committee comment if they feel the score is not consistent with the review of the application.
  8. Unanimous decision is made by the committee to either:
    a. Accept the student conditional confirmed supervisor and funding
    b. Reject student

Literature Organization & Reference Management

UofT Libraries Workshops

  • UofT Libraries hosts a variety of workshops on navigating citation management tools and strategies (Refworks, EndNote, etc). Visit the UofT Libraries event calendar for further details.

Citation Management Softwares available through UofT

  • Zotero, Mendeley, RefWorks, and EndNote Web are offered through UofT. Comparison and help guides are available as well.