Catriona M. Steele,
Ph.D., CCC-SLP, S-LP(C), Reg. CASLPO, ASHA Fellow
Professor Catriona M. Steele is a clinician scientist working in the area of swallowing and swallowing disorders. She has a background as a medical speech-language pathologist, and is Director of the Swallowing Rehabilitation Research Laboratory (www.steeleswallowinglab.ca) at KITE, the research arm of the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute – University Health Network. Dr. Steele is a Professor in the Department of Speech-Language Pathology at the University of Toronto.
Professor Steele holds research funding from the National Institutes of Health (USA) as well as several active industry contracts. She is an associate editor for the Dysphagia journal and a member of the editorial board for the Journal of Texture Studies. She is also a member of the Board of Directors for the International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (www.iddsi.org).
- Steele, C. M., Peladeau-Pigeon, M., Barbon, C. E. A., Guida, B. T., Namasivayam-MacDonald, A. M., Nascimento, W. V., Smaoui, S., Tapson, M. S., Valenzano, T. J., Waito, A. A., Wolkin, T. S. (2019, in press). Reference values for healthy swallowing across the range from thin to extremely thick liquids. Journal of Speech-Language Hearing Research.
- Steele, C. M., Peladeau-Pigeon, M., Barbon, C. E. A., Guida, B. T., Tapson, M. S., Valenzano, T. J., Waito, A. A., Wolkin, T. S., Hanson, B., Ong, J. J. & Duizer, L. M. (2019). Modulation of tongue pressure according to liquid flow properties in healthy swallowing. Journal of Speech-Language Hearing Research. https://pubs.asha.org/doi/10.1044/2018_JSLHR-S-18-0229
- Barbon, C. E. A. & Steele, C. M. (2018). Thickened liquids for dysphagia management: A current review of the measurement of liquid flow. Current Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Reports. https://rdcu.be/5aOs
- Waito, A. A., Tabor-Gray, L., Steele, C. M. & Plowman, E, K. (2018). Reduced pharyngeal constriction is associated with impaired swallowing efficiency in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). Neurogastroenterology and Motility, 30(12), e13450. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/nmo.13450
- Barbon, C. E. A. & Steele, C. M. (2018). Characterizing the flow of thickened barium and non-barium liquid recipes using the IDDSI Flow Test. Dysphagia. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00455-018-9915-6
Honours and Awards
- Speech-Language Audiology Canada Lifetime Achievement Award 
- Mentorship Award, Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists 
- Fellow of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association