Dr. Jennifer Campos is a Canada Research Chair (Tier 2) in Multisensory Integration and Aging. Jenny is the Associate Director - Academic, Senior Scientist, Chief Scientist of the Challenging Environments Assessment Laboratory and an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology (University of Toronto). She is also the Associate Scientific Director of AGE-WELL. Jenny’s research focuses on enhancing safe mobility during walking and driving under realistic and challenging conditions. This includes understanding how age-related sensory impairments (e.g., vision, hearing) and cognitive impairments can increase the risk of falls and vehicle collisions (e.g., in healthy older adults, those with hearing loss, dementia). She uses virtual reality and simulation technologies to a) carefully recreate real-world conditions, to ensure the generalizability of research outcomes to real-world applications and b) adapt these technologies for training and rehabilitation interventions. Jenny is also the Director of the KITE Young Innovators youth outreach program.
- Gabriel, G.A.*, Harris, L.R., Henriques, D., Campos, J.L. (2022). The effects of training on Visual-Vestibular Heading Judgments in Younger and Older Adults. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience.
- Appel, L.* Ali, S., Narang, T., Mozeson, K., Pasat, Z., Orchanian-Cheff, A., Campos, J.L. (2021). Virtual Reality to Promote Wellbeing in Persons with Dementia: A Scoping Review. Journal of Rehabilitation and Assistive Technologies. https://doi.org/10.1177/20556683211053952
- Carr, S.*, Li, K.Z., Pichora-Fuller, M.K., Campos, J.L. (2020). Effects of age on listening and postural control during realistic multitasking conditions. Human Movement Science, 73, 102664. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2020.102664
- Carpenter, M.G., Campos, J.L. (2020). The effects of hearing loss on balance: a critical review. Ear and Hearing, 47, p107S-119S
- Campos, J.L., Launer, S. (2020). From healthy hearing to healthy living: a holistic approach. Ear and Hearing, 47, p99S-106S.
Honours & Awards
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Council of Canada (NSERC) Science Promotion Award (2022). This award honours one individual across Canada per year for making an outstanding contribution to the promotion of science in Canada through activities encouraging popular interest in science and developing science abilities.
- Contribution to Student and Professional Education: Leader Award (2022). Toronto Rehabilitation Institute – University Health Network
- Senior Scientist Mentorship and Leadership Award (2021). KITE - Toronto Rehabilitation Institute – University Health Network