Current research suggests that approximately 30-40% of the health care delivered is not consistent with recommended best practices, and 20-40% of the care delivered is of no benefit or even harmful. As a knowledge translation (KT) scientist, Heather’s research focuses on how best to improve these percentages. Her work is currently focused on measuring care gaps in rehabilitation, designing KT interventions to close gaps with a focus on audit and feedback, and developing and applying theories and frameworks to improve our ability to design effective KT interventions. Heather also studies the methodologies used to design and report scoping reviews.
- Colquhoun, H., Levac, D., O’Brien, K., Straus, S., Tricco, A., Perrier, L., Kastner, M., & Moher, D. (2014). Scoping reviews: Time for clarity in definition, methods, and reporting. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 67, 1291-1294.
- Colquhoun H, Leeman J, Michie S, Lokker C, Bragge P, Hempel S, McKibbon KA, Peters GJY, Stevens KR, Wilson MG, Grimshaw J. (2014). Towards a common terminology: a simplified framework of interventions to promote and integrate evidence into health practices, systems, and policies. Implementation Science 2014, 9:51. DOI: 10.1186/1748-5908-9-51.
- Ivers, N., Sales, A., Colquhoun, H., Michie, S., Foy, R., Francis, J., & Grimshaw, J. (2014). No more ‘business as usual’ with audit and feedback interventions: Towards an agenda for a reinvigorated intervention. Implementation Science, 9:14. DOI: 10.1186/1748-5908-9-14
- Mathew, D., McKibbon, A., Lokker, C., & Colquhoun, H. (2014). “WhatisKT wiki: a platform for knowledge translation terms and definitions – survey of wiki users”. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 16(1):e21. URL: http://www.jmir.org/2014/1/e21/ doi: 10.2196/jmir.3001
- Urquhart, R., Cornelissen, E., Lal, S., Colquhoun, H., Klein, G., Richmond, S., & Witteman, H. (2013). A community of practice for knowledge translation trainees: an innovative approach for learning and collaboration. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 33(4).