BSc, BScPT, MSc, PhD
Dr. Gabison is a physical therapist and the Hallisey Affiliate Scientist in pressure injury and home care research at KITE, Toronto Rehab – University Health Network. Her research is focused on the development and evaluation of tools and technologies to support individuals at risk of developing pressure injuries and the caregivers who support them. This interdisciplinary research combines engineering, computer science and healthcare and takes place in the community, in rehabilitation settings and in complex continuing care environments. Dr. Gabison uses both quantitative and qualitative methods and approaches while engaging patients, families, caregivers and the community throughout the research cycle. Through this research, the hope is to equip individuals at risk of developing pressure injuries and the caregivers who support them with tools and technologies in order to reduce unnecessary pain and suffering.
Dr. Gabison’s current research projects for pressure injury prevention include 1) testing the PrIME (Pressure Injury Management and Education) system in the home and long-term care environments, 2) Understanding the educational needs of individuals and their caregivers as it relates to pressure injury prevention and management, 3) Developing smart based textiles to mitigate the effects of immobility and disease and 4) Developing of a modified Braden Scale for caregivers. Dr. Gabison has also been involved in the development of Pressure Ulcer Target, a novel educational App for individuals living with Spinal Cord Injury at risk of developing Pressure Injuries.
- Francis, GL; Jansen van Vuuren, J; Gaurav, N; Aldersey, HM; Gabison, S; Davidson, CM. (2021). Original Research: "Collaboration Between Schools and Families who have Children with Disabilities During COVID-19: An Exploratory Investigation in Ontario, Canada". Network for International Policies and Cooperations in Education and Training. Special Issue(6): p 48.
- Wright Stein, M; Alexander, R; Mann, J; Schneider, C; Zhang, S; Gibson, BE; Gabison, S; Jachyra, P; Mosleh, D. (2021). Original Research: "Understanding disability in healthcare: Exploring the perceptions of parents of young people with autism spectrum disorder". Disability and Rehabilitation. July 7: 1-8.
- Wong, G; Gabison, S; Dolatabadi, E; Evans, E; Kajaks, T; Holliday, P; Alshaer, H; Fernie, G; Dutta, T. (2020). Original Research: "Toward Mitigating Pressure Injuries: Detecting Patient Orientation from Vertical Bed Reaction Forces". Journal of rehabilitation and assistive technologies engineering. 7: 1-12.
- Shirai,T; Bulandres, P; Choi, J; D’Ortenzio, D; Moon, D; Musselman, K; Gabison, S. (2020). Original Research: "The use of a mobile educational tool on pressure injury education for individuals living with spinal cord injury/disease: a qualitative research study,". Disability and Rehabilitation. June 4: 1-10.
- Gabison, S; Mathur, S; Nussbaum, E; Popovic, M; Verrier, M. (2019). Original Research: "The relationship between pressure offloading and ischial tissue health in individuals with spinal cord injury: An exploratory study". Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. 42(Sup1): 186-195.
- Gabison, S; Hayes, K; Campbell, K; Swaine, J; Craven, C. (2019). Original Research: "Ultrasound Imaging of Tissue Overlying the Ischial Tuberosity: Does Patient Position Matter?". Journal of Tissue Viability. 28(4): 179-185.
- Gabison, S; Mathur, S; Verrier, M; Nussbaum, E; Popovic, M; Gagnon, D. (2018). Original Research: "Quantitative Ultrasound Imaging Over the Ischial Tuberosity: An Exploratory Study to Inform Tissue Health". Journal of Tissue Viability. 27(3): 173-180`.
Honours and Awards:
- Smart Garments: AI Therapy for your Muscles. Batt, J (PI), Mathur, S (Co-PI), Davoudour, M (Co-PI), Sadeghian, A (Co-PI), Ieraci, A (Co-PI), Gabison, S (Co-PI), November 2020, Angels’ Den People’s Choice Award http://angelsden.ca/, $50,000, awarded
- Instructional Technology Innovation Fund, Centre for Teaching Support and Innovation, University of Toronto, “PTGames – Physical Therapy Gaming Application for Motivating and Engaging Students”, Coleman, J, Gabison, S, $20,000 (Support Stream, in-kind) for 24 months, January 2021-December 2022, awarded
- Ministry of Health, COVID 19 Grant, $2,500, KITE, Toronto Rehab – UHN, PrIME Educational Interface, Gabison, S, Dutta, T, Fernie, G. June 2020, awarded
- Wounds Canada, Open Research Grant, $1,000, November 2021
- 2nd Place Winner Poster Presentation, 9th Annual Canadian Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Association Conference, November 2021
- Recognition Award, Department of Physical Therapy, University of Toronto, 2021
- Hallisey Affiliate Scientist in Pressure Injury and Homecare Research, February 2021 – January 2024, $217,000
- 3MT, Second Place Winner, 3 Minute Trainee Competition, KITE, Toronto Rehab – University Health Network, August 8, 2020, $400, awarded
- Pillar Sponsorship, University of Toronto, Alumni Relations, Gabison, S, Switzer-McIntyre, S. $6,000 for 10 months, December 2020-November 2021, awarded