MA, MSc, PhD
Dr. Rosemary Martino is a Professor in the Department of Speech-Language Pathology and holds the Canada Research Chair (Tier II) in Swallowing Disorders. She is also a Senior Scientist in the Krembil Research Institute at the University Health Network. Dr. Martino’s research focuses on three main areas related to dysphagia: early identification, medical consequences and longitudinal changes in swallow physiology and swallow related outcomes. To date, her work has generated 65 peer-reviewed publications and she has given over 110 invited presentations. As principal investigator, she has obtained 24 grants totaling over $14 million (CAD). Most recently, she was awarded over US$8.5 million in funding by the Patient-Centred Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), to investigate the effectiveness of a prophylactic swallow intervention for patients receiving radiotherapy for head and neck cancer.
- Predictors of Direct Enteral Tube Placement After Acute Stroke.
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2019 Jan;28(1):191-197
Joundi RA, Saposnik G, Martino R, Fang J, Kapral MK
- Feeding and swallowing impairment in children with stroke and unilateral cerebral palsy: a systematic review.
Dev Med Child Neurol. 2018 Nov 09;:
Sherman V, Greco E, Moharir M, Beal D, Thorpe K, Martino R
- A scoping review of rehabilitation interventions for survivors of head and neck cancer.
Disabil Rehabil. 2018 Jul 06;:1-15
Rodriguez AM, Komar A, Ringash J, Chan C, Davis AM, Jones J, Martino R, McEwen S
- Lingual and Jaw Kinematic Abnormalities Precede Speech and Swallowing Impairments in ALS.
Dysphagia. 2018 Dec;33(6):840-847
Perry BJ, Martino R, Yunusova Y, Plowman EK, Green JR
- Dysphagia Treatment for Patients With Head and Neck Cancer Undergoing Radiation Therapy: A Meta-analysis Review.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018 Jun 01;101(2):421-444
Greco E, Simic T, Ringash J, Tomlinson G, Inamoto Y, Martino R